Display setup for lap top

UT2004 related discussions
Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Display setup for lap top

Postby Xac » Wed 12. Mar 2014, 17:37

Does anyone know how to set up UT for playing on a laptop screen? The maximum resolution setting tends to make the full screen view only fill the central part of the screen. I some how managed to get around this in Win7 by running UT in a window and then dragging the window until it filled the entire screen. UT complained about an incompatible screen resolution once, but ran fine and filled the whole screen and continues to work fine. I tried this on my Win 8.1 machine and it sort of worked, but left the task bar at the bottom and the window frame at the top and I couldn't get rid of them.

It would be nice if someone can tell me how to do this properly... :D
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: Display setup for lap top

Postby Pegasus » Wed 12. Mar 2014, 17:46

Hey Xac. Making the game conform to whatever kinda resolution you'd like that isn't listed in its display settings' dropdown box is just a matter of navigating to your UT's System subfolder, opening UT2004.ini in a text editor and manually setting the FullscreenViewportX and FullscreenViewportY properties to whatever values you'd like 'em to be.

Karma_geddon
Description: from Italy

Postby Karma_geddon » Thu 13. Mar 2014, 17:21

I tried to twek the resolution settings from the .ini once, because my laptot monitor is 16:9, but it just stretched the image. So I stayed to the maximal 4:3 resolution available for the game (which is fine, of course).
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Postby Xac » Fri 14. Mar 2014, 10:54

Pegasus wrote:Hey Xac. Making the game conform to whatever kinda resolution you'd like that isn't listed in its display settings' dropdown box is just a matter of navigating to your UT's System subfolder, opening UT2004.ini in a text editor and manually setting the FullscreenViewportX and FullscreenViewportY properties to whatever values you'd like 'em to be.

Thanks Pegasus...tried it on my Win7 machine and it seems happy. Tonight I'll try it on the Win8.1 machine and see what happens. :D
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 16. Mar 2014, 07:24

No need for manual INI editing. Just do "SetRes WxH" at the console (WxH being the native resolution, e.g. 1920x1080) and the game should take up the entire screen.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Sun 16. Mar 2014, 16:13

Thanks for the setres reminder, Wormbo. Btw, since you brought it up, I see in my UT console commands notes that the syntax for SetRes also allows for a third, colour depth component (16-bit or 32-bit). One could type, for example, setres 1280x720x16 and get UT to run on a crappy old laptop (they'll need to reduce world detail and other relevant settings manually of course to get even more significant performance gains) instead of having to do it from within the game's settings if they forgot to before joining a match. Btw, do SetRes changes get saved after quitting?

Much like with almost anything else in UT, there's more than one way to skin a cat :p.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 16. Mar 2014, 16:47

Another SetRes option is appending W or F for window or fullscreen mode, but that only works starting with UT2003 or UT2004. Also I'm not sure if SetRes changes are saved permanently before UT2003. But maybe you can force a save by changing another rendering device related property.

Return to “General”